UnitedHere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Mortal Kombat Windows
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:30 am by 

» 16 Sons Holophonique (sons 3D !)
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:30 am by 

» checking checking
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 pm by Guest

» UNITE HERE Local 24
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:47 am by Guest

» Do you like Union?
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:13 am by mikedavid

» Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test?
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm by Teron

» Hang Up on Harassment: Dealing with Cellular Phone Abuse
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 12:50 pm by Teron

» How to Put an End to Unwanted or Harassing Phone Calls
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 12:48 pm by Teron

» Overview of Employment and Anti-Discrimination Laws
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 2:54 am by jose t

Poll
Do you like Union?
Yes
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? I_vote_lcap75%Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? I_vote_rcap
 75% [ 3 ]
No
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? I_vote_lcap25%Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? I_vote_rcap
 25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4
Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? Count

Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Teron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? Empty
PostSubject: Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test?   Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Yes. Federal, state and private employees are all subject to drug testing.

Many federal employees, such as those who handle classified information, those who work in national security, law enforcement officers, employees with duties to protect property, life, health and safety, and even the President are subject to drug testing Executive Order 12,564 (5 U.S.C. Â%26sect;7301). The Supreme Court has ruled that while drug testing does infringe on an employee's privacy, it can be necessary in order to protect the health and safety of others Skinner v. Railway Labor Executives' Assn., 489 U.S. 602 (1989).

Most state laws are similar to federal laws and usually have upheld the legality of drug testing of state employees. Certain states, such as California, have said that while it is legal to give drug tests to any incoming employees, there must be cause to test current employees.

Many private employers require that their employees undergo drug testing. State and local law vary in the way that they protect private employees' privacy, but private employers may often test employees for health and safety reasons, as well as to increase productivity at the workplace, and to prevent illegal activities in the work place that derive from drug-related activity
Back to top Go down

Can my employer legally require me to take a drug test?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UnitedHere :: Employees Rights In The Workplace :: Laws that Protect against Harassment, Discrimination, Termination and more-
Jump to: